They say that making affirming statements engenders positive attributes in a family. I’ve worked on repeating several at regular intervals since I first heard this parenting tip. The kids can complete them after hearing the first word or two: “Dixons never quit!” “Wickedness never was happiness!” And, to nip the pleading and the whining in the bud, “You can only PRAY if it’s your DAY!”
Tonight, a new affirming statement was born. As we sat around the table talking about our best and worst, Jared let out a zinger. “My worst part was that my friend Jordan called me a nerd.” Hurt was obvious on his face.
We pondered the fact that anyone being mean is just trying to fill up a hole in their psyche, something the kids like to call “Having issues.”
3 comments:
Nerds rule...at least at the Mumford house. And we love your new affirmation!
Nerd will get to be a compliment later. Give it 8 yrs or so.
The Carolin comment was SO CAROLINE I could just hear her saying it.
Post a Comment