Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Tonight, a real conversation I had last week with the trophy shop. I thought the Pinewood Derby Trophies were a little silly. Besides being totally cheesy, they also make a big hole in my miniscule budget, so I figured we'd pass out a matchbox car with a little candy on the side and call it good. That would be BEFORE I talked to some cubs about the importance of the hunk of wood with a crummy little metal plaque.

So I called the trophy shop last Tuesday, 9 days before the Derby. Although there was a hint of desperation in my voice from realizing that I had waited too long to do the impromptu poll, the lady stated in a stern voice "We have a firm policy that we never accept orders over the phone. You must be present in the store to place the order."

I sighed and spoke from my heart: "Oh, shoot! I was really hoping to avoid coming into your store twice, since all my small children are really interested in the breakable stuff that's all over your shop."

Pause, then with no hint of humor or acknowledgement "The total will be $39.95, and you can pick it up next Tuesday. Is there anything else you need?"

No exaggeration needed on this one. Ahh, the power of small children to manipulate!

3 comments:

Jules said...

Nice job! When's the PWD?

gillian said...

That's sooo funny. Jonathan and I laughed out loud. He also says he loves your template. Bob said that your pinewood derby was the best one he's ever been to! Way to go, guys!

tams said...

I agree with Gill, that was SO funny!