Warning: Therapeutic blog written on scrap paper and typed up later. Helped me emotionally, but may not be interesting.
We’ve all read about deathbed repentance. Some of you might feel a certain degree of distance from this concept, but I am intimately acquainted with the whole thing.
As far as I can tell, the same mother comes to my classes every year, AND her kid’s always the same age: about 2 years younger than the lower class limit. We first saw "him" in Seth's first year in 2001. This year "he" was in Miri's 1-3 grade class, still 6 years old. It's always the same. The music is amazing: fingers fly. All the fabulous support people are in attendance, hanging onto the kid’s every breath. . . and all frantically recording the event with digital and video cameras, to be shown in the montage of his life when he’s famous in a couple of years. I am not making any of this up. THEY took the time to sit with their darling child at least 2 times per day. HE will grow up with a real talent he can use. HE never has to strain to hear a floating voice from afar. HE is progressing quickly and carefully through all the Suzuki Piano books.
Every year, magically, I am granted a one year death-bed reprieve: another chance to be the good piano mother. I resolve to be. I picture myself in that rocker, possibly fixing girl hair while I gently and lovingly offer encouragement and direction to the pianist, the notes from the piano never contending with howls of pain, or me running off to halt another tragedy elsewhere in the house. I will MAKE TIME! This is the hill I have chosen to DIE ON! . . I know that. But I surrender it every time.
I would make those resolutions again this year. . . but this is our SIXTH Musicfest, and although I may be overly optimistic and a bit slow on the uptake, I can finally see the truth.
4 comments:
My moment: next year we will TRAIN for the Birchwood boogie so that 60 laps is an achievable goal. Instead of this year when we PLANNED to train and ended up with Alex collapsing, face cherry red but nose oddly bone white, sobbing, into my arms after 52 laps ground out of the grittiest part of his guts. We gave up on piano a long time ago. Let me just say, as a piano teacher, that piano is impossible.
I've now decided that the reason NBC can run 8,000 stories every Olympics about the herculean efforts parents had to put forth in order to have their Kentucky-born child become a Luge champion is because the insane parents are the ones whose kids reach the very top of the pile. Me? I'll settle for the well adjusted kid who loves music and can play hymns in priesthood. Maybe I set my sites too low....
I think that the intense mom has her "every muscle tensed, mentally playing a few notes ahead, cringing" just the same. My sister hardly ever made mistakes at recitals, but I had never seen my mom relaxed. We moms tend to feel that there is always something a child could have done better no matter how well they do. I think knowing and believing in our child's endless potential just makes us that way.
I think you are amazing and your children are very fortunate to have you as a mother.
ditto
Post a Comment